Higher and Lower sensitivity - 12 images - Favela Walk - Sao Paulo Pg 115

The Favela, Sao Luis in Sao Paulo, is the location for this exercise. While walking around I swapped between 100 and 400 iso as the light levels started to fall.

1/45s
f8
ISO 100

This was taken across the road from the entrance to the favela. Between me and the shop was a busy road so I could not stand any closer to fill the frame with this composition,  I could see that it would require me to stand in the middle of the road. I framed with this crop in mind. I tried a few frames at iso 100 which at f5.6 gave a shutter speed of 1/45s.  I wanted to make sure that the image was as sharp as possible as the crop would amplify the circle of confustion so I opted to increase the iso to achive a faster shutter speed.
1/125s f5.6 400 ISO
This was taken at 400 ISO as the sun was already low in the overcast sky, I chose this iso so that I could get a high enough aperture for depth of field while also maintaining a useable shutter speed.

1/60s
f5.6
400 ISO
As the cloudy conditions lift slightly, I am able to use 100 iso for this image which is out in the open and there are no buildings blocking the  light.

1/45s
f5.6
100 ISO

This image of this young man is at, or very close to, the  limit for taking a hand held portrait for me. At f 4.8 - 1/60s  100 iso. 
























The light hitting the camera at this point on the bridge is not being hindered by building so I was able to use iso 100 and achive a shutter speed of 1/90s at f4.8. I  focused a third into the frame so that I could get the girl carrying her baby and the favela buildings in acceptible focus.

1/90s
f4.8
100 ISO








ISO 100 gave me a slow shutter speed of 1/45s but for this image I chose not to change it for a higher iso as I wanted the motion of the man to be slightly blurred to give a little movement in the image.


1/45s
f4
ISO 100




















This man was sitting at the entrance to the bar. As there was not much detail to the left of him in the frame I left the ISO at 100 and the shutter speed at 1/45s and chose to open up to a wider aperture to get more light into the frame. As most of the detail in the frame is around him the shallower depth of field meant that he and all the detail around him would be within acceptible focus. The framing elements to the left of him benefit from not being sharp and help direct the eye to the man sitting.
1/45s
f.3.3
ISO 100




As I approached this scene there were two things I wanted to make sure of 1 - Capture this scene with the lads in the positions they were in as naturally as possible. 2 - In the falling light levels, capture them as quickly as possible.

ISO 400
1/180s
f5.6


This girl was standing at the inner entrance of the favela. This was a semi circular staircase surrounded by favela  buildings. he light, already low, was further hampered by the buildings. I choose ISO 400. 

f5.6
ISO 400
1/60
This image taken down the side of an ally way surround by building. ISO 400 was selected  for shutter speed and light levels.


f.5.6
1/90s
400 ISO













An ISO 100 setting would have meant the use of a wide aperture setting. I wanted the Arrow railing to be recognizable  and not a blur so I chose ISO 400 so that I could get a deeper depth of field so that the arrow railing would be acceptable in focus to point to the face painted on the brick wall.

1/180s
f.4.8
ISO 400